Friday 7 November 2014

Bio

As you could probably guess from the url, my name's Jamie. I'm a final year physics student at the University of Sheffield, who seems to spend the entirety of his free time running the entertainment section of Liberty Belle Magazine.


Liberty Belle is an online magazine aimed towards female students. Since being set up by Pippa Moyle in 2012, the magazine has frequently changed. I joined as a writer for the entertainments section a year on, writing countless pieces about gigs in Sheffield, interviewing local comedy acts, contributing to an e-mag, before eventually becoming entertainment editor.

Along with my co-editor Ellen Offredy, I'm responsible for producing entertainment related content for the magazine and delegating it to the thirty strong army of writers in our section. This has so far ranged from topical articles like our Halloween party playlist to the inevitable gig reviews, including slightly quirkier articles recommending movies to help freshers bond with their flatmates and our weekly Doctor Who Review. One of our more popular features is New Music Monday, in which we find the best pop songs due for release to promote to our readers.

It's essential that entertainment editors are able to network and form connections with artists and other professionals. In doing this, we have managed to create content featuring high profile acts such as Florrie, Blessa, Lonely The Brave, The Pierces, as well as many others. We even managed to get guest list to Y Not Festival.

Frank Turner taking a selfie for us at Y Not Festival

Outside of Liberty Belle, I contribute articles to the website Science Nutshell. This is a new website aiming to summarise the latest science news and research into articles of no more than 400 words. Through writing for this website I have developed a keen interest in science communication. Whilst music writing is by no means a chore (in contrast, turning my thoughts on Sbtrkt's latest single into words is pure self indulgence), writing, and researching, articles has allowed me insight into many fascinating areas of research which I otherwise would never have come across. In particular I have enjoyed reporting on studies regarding climate change and how researchers are using weather models to calculate how specific real-world scenarios have been made more likely by human carbon emissions, something I mentioned in a quite passionate blog post here (in amongst an attempt at political commentary).

When not writing words at all, I try to emulate my favourite Liverpool FC players whilst playing in terrible five a side football teams, and am slowly (but surely) building my way towards running a full marathon.



No comments:

Post a Comment